Sunday, November 24, 2013

To Ignore or not to Ignore?

            

              Last week I had the privilege of spending time observing an 8th grade social studies teacher.  This smart and seasoned educator invited me to sit in on two of his eight grade US history classes.  Since my dyad placement is in 8th grade social studies, I thought it would be wonderful to see a different method for teaching the same curriculum I had been helping to  teach.   This was a wonderful experience for me because I was not only able to observe how another teacher teaches, but since I was so familiar with their lesson plans, I could easy see the seminaries and differences in teaching styles between this teacher and my cooperating teacher.  Both are seasoned male teachers who have been teaching in the same school together for over fifteen years.  Both teachers are extremely passionate about US history and both are also outgoing, a bit sarcastic and quirky (which students love).  Both are considered to be among the most favorite faculty members by students.

            While there were many similarities between the classroom layout, teacher demeanor and dynamic teaching styles, there was one main difference that caught my eye.   The  difference was in the way that this observed teacher handled students who acted out in class.  My Cooperating Teacher always addressed inappropriate student behavior quickly and firmly.  Because he corrected this behavior out loud in front of the class, it seemed to discourage students from acting out.  While the behavior correction was done in a manner as to not shame the student, it was no doubt a bit embarrassing for the student, and therefore actually works as a deterrent for future misbehavior.

            The opposite approach is used in the classroom I observed.  In this class, the teacher chooses to ignore bad behavior completely.  I find this approach to classroom management very interesting and a bit uncomfortable for me to watch.  During the two class periods I observed, I watched a different male student in each class display very inappropriate classroom behavior.  (Neither of the students were on an IEP and neither had documented behavioral problems)  Throughout both of these classes, these male students talked out many times and threw items (pencils and paperclips) across the room.  I also observed one of the students loudly and sarcastically mimicking another student as they answered a question out loud in front of the class. The student was clearly making fun of his classmate, and did so to several snickers of laughter from students sitting next to him.  His disrespectful outburst was met with a stern look from the teacher, but no further action was taken.  He then continued to make such comments every few minutes for the duration of the class period.  I was hoping that proximity would be a deterrent for this students, so I casually walked over near where he was sitting.  He noticed me and quieted for a moment or two, but then continued to act out.   Other students clearly were used to this students bad behavior and would either ignore it or roll their eyes in frustration.  Neither the students or the teacher said anything to either of the disruptive students. As it was not my classroom and I was invited there to observe, I felt awkward and very uncomfortable with the situation. It took every ounce of self control I had to NOT say something to this student about his inappropriate and hurtful behavior in class.  

             When class ended, I had only a few moments to connect with the teacher.  I complimented him on his creativity activities and thoughtful lesson planning that was evident in his teaching.  I then asked about the two students that were choosing to disturb the class with their behavior.  The teacher shook his head from side to side and said that there are a few of those types of students in every class and as a teacher, "what are you gonna do?" He told me the best way to deal with these students is to ignore their behavior completely.  This response surprised me, as I had viewed this educator as a seasoned teacher with years of experience in classroom management.   Thinking about my observations later, I found that I had more questions than answers.  What are the benefits of ignoring hurtful and disruptive behavior?  Why do teachers with such similar teaching styles have such different views on classroom management?  What message does addressing or ignoring bad classroom behavior send to the student acting out and the classroom as a whole? What is the Principal's feeling on this subject? What kind of classroom management style will I utilize when I am a teacher, and will it be different if I teach primary grades as opposed to Middle School?

~ Christy

 

           

No comments:

Post a Comment