Saturday, November 30, 2013

Making Creativity and Expression a Priority.

 
         
                                              
     I have always loved Pablo Picasso's quote "Every child is an artist." These famous words are everywhere... on mugs, calendars, art rooms, posters, Facebook profiles, and even preschool walls. For me, this quote speaks to the creativity inherent in children and their desire for expression. What I had forgotten until recently, was the remainder of the quote. Picasso follows his statement that every child is an artist, buy adding "The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up."

      Now that I am becoming a teacher, these words speak volumes to me. If we truly believe every child is an artist, why are we not looking at EVERY child as if they are each brilliant individuals in their own right.  Since children are capable of immense creativity and learning, we as educators must make art a priority, by providing space, tools, opportunity, and encouragement to our students.  Allowing students time and access to appreciate and create art sends a strong message to the child.  It says that individuality, creativity, and expression are important. 

     As a preschool teacher and mother of two, I constantly and happily celebrate the efforts of pink crayon unicorns, macaroni necklaces, misspelled poems, and painted handprint turkeys.  I love children's art and I am always encouraging my children and students to explore different ways to be creative and expressive.  We show that we value something when we make it a priority in our lives.  As someone who has always been a lover of art, but a minimal producer or art, I am guilty of not making nearly enough time for my own creative expression.  I enjoy photography,  love to write poetry, and even dabble in sketching once in a while.  If I truly understand that art is valuable and meaningful, why am I not practicing what I preach, by making time for art in my daily life?  This is a problem I plan to remedy immediately.  I have already begun by setting aside time to create art and enjoy and reflect upon the artistic talents of others.  So far, I'm off to a promising start!

  "The creative adult is the child who has survived."   - Ursula K. LeGuin (American poet and author)
 
  ~  Christy
 
(photo credit: )

No comments:

Post a Comment