A week ago, I had the privilege of turning
a small classroom tragedy into an exciting new opportunity to support student
learning. I our half day kindergarten
classes we have been doing a FOSS science unit of study on animals. In this
portion of the unit, I had been teaching the students about goldfish. The first lesson consisted of making a class
list of what we already know about goldfish, and what we hope to find out about
these fish. The highlight of the lesson
was the observation portion, in which each small table group was given their
own goldfish to name and observe. The students
were mesmerized by these simple fish.
The next morning, the students came to
school with a new energy and excitement for learning science. They couldn’t wait to see their fish
again. When it came time to observe the
fish a second time, the students were distraught to notice that one of their beloved
fish had died and was floating belly up.
One student said with a cry, “look at his little face…it’s just not
fair!” Another student insisted that we
flush the fish down our classroom toilet as soon as possible, because that is
what her parents do at her house and “that’s the only way to get rid of a dead
fish.” After a moment of thinking to myself “oh my goodness, what
should I do about this” I had an idea of a way to turn our little tragedy into
an opportunity.
Since the next part of the lesson
consisted of my showing them a book on the parts of a fish and us labeling them
on chart paper, I told them that the fish that died was going to be our “special
helper fish” …and how lucky we were that it passed away. I further explained to the students that the
fish must have know that we were going to study its parts and that we could
learn so much more from looking at an actual fish as opposed to a page in a
book. “This fish will help us get
smarter, and smarter,” I told the class.
I then turned out the lights, put our special fish under the document camera
and hit the focus button to enlarge him so that the whole class could see his
parts.
Now instead of seeing “gills” in a book, they could see the actual gills of their fish. I also grabbed sticky notes and asked the students if they could name a part of the fish. One by one, I wrote down their students answers on the sticky notes and let them come up and place the stick note label on the whiteboard, which displayed their actual fish. The tears had dried up and they were so engaged and excited to label our fish friend. While it wasn’t the best scenario that we lost a fish, having this dead goldfish and thinking quickly on my feet, allowed me to support and enhance student learning in a different and unexpected way.
Now instead of seeing “gills” in a book, they could see the actual gills of their fish. I also grabbed sticky notes and asked the students if they could name a part of the fish. One by one, I wrote down their students answers on the sticky notes and let them come up and place the stick note label on the whiteboard, which displayed their actual fish. The tears had dried up and they were so engaged and excited to label our fish friend. While it wasn’t the best scenario that we lost a fish, having this dead goldfish and thinking quickly on my feet, allowed me to support and enhance student learning in a different and unexpected way.
No comments:
Post a Comment