I very much enjoyed spending part of my day today learning about teaching students sustainability. The class was a wonderful reminder for me that environmental education is incredibly important and that it can be taught in simple, yet highly impactful ways. While participating in several example activities today, I noticed that they all emphasized bringing environmental issues to students' attention, and then encouraging students to make connections between what they have learned and their own personal experiences. What I will take with me from our class session is how accessible environmental education can be for young students. I enjoyed connecting our activities to my main placement kindergarten classes. It would be so simple to take the students on a nature walk through the woods on our playground and allow the students to take in their surroundings and explore the nature around them. They could touch, smell, hear, measure, and count everything and then write in their science journals (that we would create) all about their experiences and observations. For a class that currently only focuses on math and literacy, this would be a great way to incorporate science into our curriculum. I can't wait to start!
- Christy
No comments:
Post a Comment