I love seeing the different teacher desk and student desk arrangements and asking the teacher to explain the reason behind their choice in classroom layout. I found it interesting that about half of the teachers I asked had chosen their classroom design for a specific reason and the other half said that they hadn't given it much thought or they just kept the same arraignment that was already established in the room when it became their classroom. Those teachers who purposefully set up their classrooms in a certain manner, shared the following rational for their choice of layout.
1. Individual desks, separated from others, facing forward (the most common arrangement)
- This allows students space from others, helps keep negative behaviors at bay, and promotes
independent work.
2. Desks grouped in pairs, facing toward the center of the room (so half the room faces the other half)
- (Least common arrangement -My dyad teacher is the only teacher to arranged their desks in this
way) This set up promotes partner work and whole class discussions.
3. Desks grouped in pairs, facing forward (2nd most common arraignment)
- This set up makes "pair sharing" and partner work easier. Several teachers matched one male
student with a female student)
4. Desks arranged in groups of four. (only a few classrooms used this arrangement)
- This set up promotes group collaboration
Once I had visited all of the classrooms and had heard from each teacher about the reason behind their classroom layout, I wanted to get the student perspective. The 7th and 8th grade students that I asked in our first and fifth period classes were more than happy to inform me of their favorite layout. By far, the majority of the students I asked (about 50 total) said that they liked sitting in pairs the best. They said that they enjoyed partner work much more than working independently or even in groups of three or more. Only a hand full of students said they preferred sitting alone at a single desk. The few students who liked sitting by themselves said that they preferred to work independently or they didn't like pair or group work. As a future educator, I found it very interesting to hear both the teacher and student perspective on classroom layout, and it will no doubt come in handy when I am preparing to set up my own classroom in the future.
What are your thoughts on this topic? I would love to hear other opinions on the variety and importance of classroom layout.
~ Christy
No comments:
Post a Comment